Monday, August 10, 2009

Roughing It

We have never taken the kids camping before... because how would it go, right? They couldn't hang was our thought, but in the current economy camping is the vacay for the masses- thus we arrived for our first family camping trip at Kennedy Meadows in Kern County. It's an "unimproved campsite". I had no idea that meant no running water and pit toilets... but I very quickly figured that out(: Our home away from home was a beautiful spot right beside the river, with tables and chairs made from the scattered boulders. The only "comfort" provided was the fire-pit left by the previous campers.This was our "backyard". Pretty sweet. The restroom situation was addressed by either OPTION #1Or... OPTION #2 (after the kids looked down into option #2, they decided #1 was lookin' pretty good)It was roughing it for sure, but to my surprise it was an incredible experience. I rose to the occasion in a way that I didn't know I had in me, and the kids went positively primal. They were dirty, hungry, and loving it. Rich couldn't believe his luck that the family took to the outdoors the way we did and is already planning the next trip.
The experience was different than I had expected, but the lack of civilization and distraction opened up the opportune moments for this... and we had to squeeze in a little trout fishing... golden's to be precise.
We caught a little one and Sierra wanted to know why he was soooo mad. I didn't know if a nearly 3 year old could understand the idea of "fight or flight"...



The trip ended with Rich and I packing while the kids wandered around camp. We begged them not to get wet because we didn't have anymore dry clothes for the ride home, but Eli being a 5 year old boy couldn't resist. He went home damp and thrilled. Happy Roughing It!

2 comments:

Sara Ancich said...

Whoa...thank goodness you guys only made plans for one night. You are a brave girl. Not sure if I would have been able to handle those conditions.

Kids always rise to the occasion, don't they? It looks like yours sure did.

Glad it all worked out.

Mrs.Wille said...

isn't camping great...i agree with the kids on the potty situation that's why frank always brings our own portable one. great pictures!